Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Afrique du sud

I've been in South Africa for over a week now, although it feels like I've been here much longer. Most nights I am asleep by 9, but I could sleep earlier if I wanted because I'm very tired. I usually sleep 9 hours a night, which is more than normal. I've heard this is common for people in a new culture. I'm staying at a Christian conference center just outside Johannasburg called eMensi. A lot of the last week has been spent doing orientation work for Seed, but I got to see a bit of he city as well. 
 
Last Wednesday, we had a tour of Soweto. Soweto is a neighborhood in the south western part of Johannasburg, where blacks lived during appartide. Although some parts of the neighborhood have improved since the end of appartide, there is still a lot of poverty. We visited Nelson Mandela's former house, where we learned about his legacy. We also visited the Hector Peterson museum. This museum honors the 500 schoolchildren who were killed in the Soweto uprising. This tragedy is the spark that started the anti appartide movement. Our tour guide said remembering this tragedy makes him very angry, but also that he is proud of the sacrifice these children were willing to make for freedom. The history here is violent and oppressive yet the people have a resilient and uplifting spirit. I'm inspired by their faith and their struggle.
 
 
 
On Sunday, we went to a local church in the morning and a zoo in the afternoon. The church was small but full of spirit. The zoo was large but the animals were equally full of energy. I got to see a lion roar and there was a very friendly elephant. We also went to the mall. 
     

A group picture at church

 

 
Elodie with Zebras
Moise at the mall
 
I found out today that my visa for the DRC has been approved. It will arrive on Friday and I'll fly to Kigali, the capital of Rwanda on Saturday. On Sunday, I will drive for six hours to Bukavu, where I will cross the boarder into the Congo. I will live in Bukavu with my 8 group mates for a month. I'm not sure where I will be after that. 
I'm sad to leave South Africa but excited to get to the Congo. This is where the real adventure begins. I hope your all doing well. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment